Are you cursed with a home garage space that is filled with clutter and mayhem? If so, you could probably really use some quality garage shelving – but where do you start? And what types are best to suit your needs? Both are great questions – read on!
With dedicated garage storage shelving options, your garage can go from looking like a bomb has gone off to being a well-ordered space, with room for your car, workshop (maybe even a beer fridge) and anything else that needs storing in there.
Here below are some quick and simple storage tips for effectively utilising garage shelving that will turn a messy garage into an organised workspace.
You can implement individual ideas to suit your garage’s current set up, or start from scratch and go with all 5 – no matter what, these garage shelving tips and tricks on best utilising your current garage storage shelving space will no doubt come in handy! At SkyTeck, we install garage shelving Brisbane residents can rely on – and we always remind our customers to employ the correct safety gear whenever required, and consider the size and shape of your work space before starting any serious renovations.
1: Your Workbench
- It goes without saying that every shed space should have a dedicated workbench, and yours will be no different. A solid and sturdy work bench is the cornerstone of every workshop, provides a safe surface for any and all crafts, odd jobs and building activities, as well as a place to keep power tools when not in use.
- Your workbench may incorporate garage shelving units adjacent/attached to the bench, but you may also consider creating a shadow board above the work space also. For hanging tools on your shadow board, it’s important to consider the size of the tools, the material strength of the board and the carrying capacity of the wire that will be supporting your tools.
- If you will be storing tools and materials underneath your workbench, it is important to measure up the available area and look at garage shelving options that will best suit these measurements. Garage storage shelving materials can come in all shapes and sizes, so make sure that yours will best suit your specific area.
- If you don’t have a workbench you can build one yourself, but when doing so be sure to research appropriate materials that will stand up to whatever activities you will require it to handle.
3: Does Your Garage Need A Garage?
- The great Aussie shed has always been a desirable characteristic for home owners – but if you’ve been treating your garage like a dumping ground then its time to examine exactly what your requirements are.
- If you are storing sports equipment, tools and hardware, or items such as bags and containers that don’t fit/aren’t needed indoors, then understanding the requirements of your garage will be important when deciding on which garage shelving is right for you. As experts in installing garage shelving Brisbane residents can trust to do the job, take our advice that if you are slinging old projects, firewood, scrap materials and objects that are dirty/broken/dangerous, it might be time to look at a separate shed – and making sure that the garage storage shelving you source for this shed is uniquely suited to safely storing these specific items.
3: Look At Wall Mounted Storage
- Is it getting too hard to walk on the floor of your garage? The answer might be to take that clutter off the floor and store it on the walls.Reclaim your floor space by utilising your garage walls to install some sturdy garage shelving units that will last as long as you need them to. At SkyTeck,we have a range of options to suit needs in garage shelving Brisbane -wide:check out our full range!
- Some examples for those who like to do it themselves: Fast track nails are very simple to install, and work with the standard 450 mm and/or 600 mm stud spacing. All you need to do is attach the rail to the required wall and then add the multipurpose hooks accordingly. For more heavy duty requirements,wire shelving options might be what you need.
4: Let’s Hang Some Hooks
- Hooks are indispensable for all you garage shelving needs. Hook scan be discreet and yet capable of holding heavy loads that range from power tools to lawnmowers – so if your floor space is at a premium and you have the wall space to spare, then look into installing heavy duty hooks into plasterboard, masonry or wall studs to solve your garage storage shelving problems.
- Hooks are great for helping you to locate your garage essentials at a moments notice, and especially at keeping them off the floor and work bench. Make sure that you check the weight rating on your hooks, so that they wont be under strain and will be able to safely take care of your materials.
5: Install Smart Garage Shelving
- Is your floor and wall space at an absolute premium? One nifty way you can gain space and increase your garage shelving is to utilise are as such as the gap between the garage door and the ceiling.
- Look for unusual-sized spaces in your garage and see if they might be capable of being utilised to store your materials – even spaces that are long and narrow, or low to the ground can be utilised for garage storage shelving spaces; if you are unsure and want to install garage shelving Brisbane residents can trust to do the job, contact us at SkyTeck and we will work with you to get the most out of your garage shelving space!